Skip Navigation
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina Show Links

Complaints we investigate

Where we can help:

The Inspector General can investigate allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement, misconduct, or wrongdoing involving South Carolina State agencies and their employees in the Executive Branch of State Government (includes public colleges and universities).


We cannot investigate the following:

  • Judicial Branch (courts, judges, and certain regulatory agencies),
  • State Legislature (senators and representatives and their staffs)
  • local governments (city and county governments, police departments, sheriff departments, school districts, etc.)
  • private businesses
  • individuals (who are not state government employees)
  • SNAP fraud (food stamp - investigated by the Dept. of Social Services)
  • Medicaid fraud (investigated by the Dept. of Health and Human Services)

For complaints involving these areas, please select the following link for Other Complaint Filing Options on our website.


If your complaint is more appropriately addressed by the agency involved, we may refer your complaint to management of that agency, and you may be contacted by the agency.  In some cases we monitor the agency's progress in addressing your complaint and request a written report of the results of their investigation.  We will notify you if your complaint was referred.  However, if you requested confidentiality (see below), we will contact you prior to referring your complaint to request your permission.   


To submit an ONLINE complaint involving state government agencies in the EXECUTIVE BRANCH, click the following link: ONLINE COMPLAINT FORM


Although an online complaint submission is preferred, you may also file a complaint by telephone 1-855-723-7283 (1-855-SCFRAUD) or by mail:

Office of the Inspector General

111 Executive Center Dr.  STE 204

Columbia, SC 29210-8416


Your contact information and confidentiality - We do accept anonymous complaints. However, we may need to contact you for clarification or additional information, and we ask that you provide us with your contact information. If you request confidentiality, we will keep your identity confidential per SC Code Section 1-6-100.